I attended a CFA seminar about Manage Your Career featuring Mr. Andrew Jones on 25h Feb.
He talks about 10 most important aspects of your career, namely:
- How to do research before you network
- How to work towards your next role every day
- Know why you are doing this
- Formulas of how to be a trusted professionals
- How to manage your stress & maintain your balance
- Why you are your behavior
- How to get (and give) effective feedbacks
- Learn with objective in view
- Know your achievement
- Networking tips (be active, be visible, be ready)
I would like to highlight tips about Networking and Know your achievement that are relevant to people looking to break into the investment industry:
- Research on the people you are meeting.
- Linkedin is a great tool (if you don’t have, create one now)
- How will you introduce yourself (be prepared and keep on improving)
- Who do they know, is there common people?
- What do you have in common?
- How could you help them? & pitch to their needs (not your needs) before looking into How could they help you?
- Which 3 people could they introduce you to?
- Choose your event: come to Springboard networking on March 23rd!
Know your achievement tips:
- Keep a log of your achievement at work and beyond (IMO, Asian are not so good in talking about their strength.)
- Be ready to talk about it in an interview
- Be detailed about: in what situation, in what task, what’s your action and what’s the result
Lastly, be ready to talk about your best stock ideas any time!